- Air Accidents Investigation Branch
- 12 May 2016
- Date of occurrence:
- 31 January 2016
- Aircraft category:
- General aviation - fixed wing
- Report type:
- Bulletin - Correspondence investigation
- Aircraft type:
- Piper PA-28-161 Cherokee Warrior III
- Durham Tees Valley Airport
Engine fire on start-up at Durham Tees Valley Airport on 31 January 2016.
After engine start, flames were seen by witnesses outside the aircraft around the lower cowling. They alerted the pilot, who shut down the engine and evacuated the aircraft along with his passenger. The fire was extinguished by a witness using a hand-held BCF extinguisher. The fire was caused by overpriming of the engine.
Download glossary of abbreviations:
Published: 12 May 2016
Date of occurrence: 31 January 2016