- Air Accidents Investigation Branch
- 10 November 2016
- Date of occurrence:
- 25 June 2016
- Aircraft category:
- General aviation - fixed wing
- Report type:
- Bulletin - Correspondence investigation
- Aircraft type:
- Piper PA-28-161 Cherokee Warrior II
- On the A40 trunk road between Abergavenny and Raglan, Monmouthshire
Struck trees near the edge of the runway during takeoff; subsequently crashed on the adjacent A40 road near Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, On 25 June 2016.
During takeoff, with the student in control, the aircraft started to veer to the left, towards a line of trees adjacent to the left edge of the runway. Although the instructor took control, he was unable to prevent the left wing from contacting the trees. This caused the aircraft to yaw to the left, ultimately rotating through 180° into the trees and out the other side, before landing on the nearby A40 road.
Download glossary of abbreviations:
Published: 10 November 2016
Date of occurrence: 25 June 2016