Bailiff powers when they visit your home

How to complain about a bailiff

You can complain about a bailiff if you think they’ve broken the rules, for example if they:

  • threaten or harass you
  • try to break into your home
  • try to charge you incorrect fees
  • take goods belonging to someone else

Who you need to complain to depends on whether the bailiff’s a:

  • private bailiff who works for a private company - either a certificated enforcement agent or a high court enforcement officer
  • county or family court bailiff, or a civilian enforcement officer who works directly for the court

Complain about a private bailiff

Most bailiffs work for private companies, even if they’re collecting money for the council or the government.

You should first complain to the company the bailiff works for or the people you owe money to.

Complain to a trade organisation

You may also be able to complain to the bailiff’s trade association.

Check the membership lists on the trade associations’ websites:

Complain to the trade association if the bailiff’s a member. Follow the complaints procedure on the association’s website.

Complain about a court bailiff or civilian enforcement officer

You can make a complaint in writing or use the complaint form if you’re complaining about either:

  • a county or family court bailiff
  • a civilian enforcement officer

Find out where to send the form by using court finder.