Fire safety equipment, drills and training
Fire detection and warning systems
You must have a fire detection and warning system. You may need different types of detectors, depending on the type of building and the work carried out in it.
Fire fighting equipment
The types of equipment you need depend on your business premises. You’ll need to have any equipment properly installed, tested and maintained and train your staff to use them if necessary.
Maintenance and testing
You must carry out regular checks to make sure that:
- all fire alarm systems are working
- the emergency lighting is working
- you record any faults in systems and equipment
- all escape routes are clear and the floor is in good condition
- all fire escapes can be opened easily
- automatic fire doors close correctly
- fire exit signs are in the right place
Fire drills and training
You need to train new staff when they start work and tell all employees about any new fire risks.
You should carry out at least one fire drill per year and record the results. You must keep the results as part of your fire safety and evacuation plan.
Step 1 Decide what type of employee you need
and Check you can afford to take on employees
- Check how much the National Minimum Wage is
- Find out how much National Insurance you need to pay for your employees
- Check how much sick pay your employees are eligible for
- Check how much you need to pay towards your employee's pension
- Check how much Maternity Leave you need to pay your employees
- Check how much Paternity Leave you need to pay your employees
Step 2 Make your workplace safe and accessible for employees
- Prevent discrimination
- Make your workplace accessible for employees with disabilities or health conditions
- Keep employee information and data safe
- Fire safety
- Health and safety
You also need to make checks when you recruit and employ someone.
Step 3 Register as an employer and set up PAYE
You need to register with HMRC so you can pay tax and national insurance for your employees.
Step 4 Check your responsibilities around workplace pensions
Step 5 Get Employers' Liability insurance
Step 6 Recruit and employ staff