If you’re settled in the UK but do not have a document to prove it, you may be eligible to apply to the ‘Windrush Scheme’.

You may be able to apply for a document to prove you can live and work in the UK if one of the following is true:

It’s free to apply.

You might also be entitled to apply for citizenship for free if you’re a Commonwealth citizen who settled in the UK before 1 January 1973, or you’re the child of someone who did.

If you suffered losses because you did not have documents

If you are eligible for this scheme, you might also be able to apply for compensation. The compensation scheme is for losses that happened because you could not show that you had a right to live in the UK.

‘Losses’ can be things like not being able to work, find a place to live or get health treatment. They can also include immigration action, like detention or removal from the UK.