Apply to the Windrush Compensation Scheme

Skip to contents of guide


You may be able to claim compensation if you suffered losses because you could not show that you had a right to live in the UK.

‘Losses’ can be things like not being able to work, find a place to live or get health treatment. They can also include immigration action, like detention or removal from the UK.

Who can apply

You can apply if:

  • you came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
  • your parents or grandparents came to the UK from a Commonwealth country before 1973
  • you came to the UK from any country before 31 December 1988 and are now settled here

You can also apply if you are:

  • the close family member of someone eligible to claim and you have had significant losses yourself
  • representing the estate of someone who would have been eligible

Losses you can claim for

You might be able to get compensation for losses relating to:

  • employment
  • immigration fees
  • housing
  • health
  • education
  • driving licences
  • banking
  • daily life - for example, you missed major family events or could not travel
  • detention and removal
  • living costs - for example, rent, utilities, contributions towards food and household essentials, travel and prescription fees

Your privacy

If you apply, the information you share will not be used for immigration enforcement. Read the Windrush Compensation Scheme’s privacy policy for more details.