What to do if your vehicle has been stolen

Get a vehicle tax refund

Your vehicle tax will be cancelled by DVLA once you tell them you no longer own your vehicle. If you pay by Direct Debit, the Direct Debit will be cancelled automatically.

You must apply for a refund instead if your vehicle had a personalised registration number that you want to keep.

You’ll automatically get a refund cheque for any full months left on your vehicle tax. The refund is calculated from the date DVLA gets your information. The cheque is sent to the name and address on the vehicle log book.

You will not get a refund for:

  • any credit card fees
  • the 5% surcharge on some Direct Debit payments
  • the 10% surcharge on a single 6 month payment