War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Tribunal

Skip to contents of guide


You can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Chamber) if you disagree with a decision about your war pension or compensation.

You must appeal within 1 year of getting your decision letter.

The tribunal is independent of government and will listen to both sides of the argument before making a decision.

Decisions the tribunal can make

The tribunal will decide whether your injury was caused or made worse by serving in the armed forces.

If it was, it can then make decisions about:

  • your entitlement to a pension or compensation
  • how much pension you get
  • your entitlement to extra allowances, for example for mobility needs
  • pension start dates
  • withheld pensions

The tribunal deals with appeals for the 2 pension schemes currently running, which are:

  • the War Pensions Scheme - for injuries caused or made worse by service before 6 April 2005
  • the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme - for injuries caused by service from 6 April 2005 onwards

Help you can get

You may want to get legal help or advice before you appeal.

You may also be able to get help from organisations including: