You can apply for a Short-term study visa to study English language in the UK.
This visa is for English language courses lasting longer than 6 months and up to 11 months.
If your course is different to this, check which visa you need.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for the length of your course plus an extra 30 days as long as your stay is no longer than 11 months.
Fees and costs
It costs £200 for a Short-term study visa.
You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your online application. It usually costs £776.
This is so you can use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.
Check how much you’ll need to pay before you apply.
What you cannot do
- study on any other course or change your course while in the UK
- study at a state-funded school
- work or carry out any business (this includes paid or unpaid work, work experience or work placements)
- extend this visa
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on this visa
- apply for most benefits (public funds) or the State Pension