Sign up for Making Tax Digital for VAT
You must sign up for ‘Making Tax Digital for VAT’ if your taxable turnover is more than £85,000, so you can:
- keep digital records
- submit your business’s VAT return using compatible software
There’s a different way to sign up if you’re an agent.
Before you start
You must have compatible software before you sign up.
What you need
To sign up you need:
- your business email address
- a Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you use the service
- your VAT registration number and latest VAT return
You’ll also need:
- your National Insurance number if you’re a sole trader
- your company registration number and Unique Taxpayer Reference if you’re a limited company or registered society
- your Unique Taxpayer Reference and the postcode where you’re registered for Self Assessment if you’re a general partnership
- your Unique Taxpayer Reference, the postcode where you’re registered for Self Assessment and your company’s registration number if you’re a limited partnership
When to sign up
If you already pay by Direct Debit do not sign up too close to the date your return is due, or you may pay twice.
To avoid this, do not sign up less than:
- 7 days before your return is due
- 5 days after your return is due
If you do not pay by Direct Debit, sign up at least 3 days before your return is due.
If you’re finding it difficult to access the service, check if there’s a technical issue or other known problem.
After you’ve signed up
You should get a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 days of signing up. It might go to your spam folder.
Do not submit a VAT Return until you get a confirmation email.
Contact HMRC if you do not get an email.