2. Eligibility

The application form has guidance on what building projects and materials qualify for a VAT refund. The basics are listed below.

New homes

The home must:

  • be separate and self-contained
  • be for you or your family to live or holiday in
  • not be for business purposes (you can use one room as a work from home office)

Builders working on new buildings should be zero-rated anyway and you won’t pay any VAT on their services.


The building being converted must usually be a non-residential building. Residential buildings qualify if they haven’t been lived in for at least 10 years.

You may claim a refund for builders’ work on a conversion of non-residential building into home.

For other conversions builders can charge a reduced VAT rate.

Communal and charity buildings

You may get a VAT refund if the building is for 1 of the following purposes:

  • non-business - you can’t charge a fee for the use of the building
  • charitable, eg a hospice
  • residential, eg a children’s home

Building materials

You may claim a VAT refund for building materials that are incorporated into the building and can’t be removed without tools or damaging the building.

What doesn’t qualify

You can’t get a VAT refund for:

  • building projects in the Channel Islands
  • materials or services that don’t have any VAT - eg they were zero-rated or exempt
  • professional or supervisory fees - eg architects, surveyors
  • hiring machinery or equipment
  • buildings for business purposes
  • buildings that can’t be sold or used separately from another property because of a planning permission condition
  • building materials that aren’t permanently attached to or part of the building itself
  • fitted furniture, some electrical and gas appliances, carpets or garden ornaments

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.