As an employer you may need to work with trade unions that represent groups of your employees, sometimes known as bargaining units.

Trade unions will negotiate with you on working conditions, for example pay and holiday. You need to recognise the trade union before they can negotiate with you.

How a trade union gets recognition

  1. The union must ask you to recognise them voluntarily - if you agree to the request then the union is recognised.

  2. If you do not want to recognise the union and have more than 21 employees, they can apply for statutory recognition from the Central Arbitration Committee (CAC).