Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates
Commodity codes classify goods for import and export so you can:
- fill in declarations and other paperwork
- check if there’s duty or VAT to pay
- find out about duty reliefs
If you’re not sure how to classify your goods
Read the product classification guides to help you find the correct commodity code.
You can get advice on how to classify your goods by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include a full description of your product - what it’s made from, its use and function, and how it’s presented or packaged.
If you need advice about more than one product, send a separate email.
Apply for a classification ruling
You can apply for a Binding Tariff Information (BTI) ruling to give certainty about the correct classification and how much duty you’ll need to pay when importing your goods into the EU.
BTI rulings are:
- legally binding throughout the EU for 3 years
- free, but you may have to pay costs (for example, for laboratory analysis or expert advice)
You apply for a ruling using the eBTI online service.
Register for an EORI number if you don’t have one. It usually takes 3 working days.
Sign up to use eBTI on the Government Gateway website.