You can apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa if:
- you’ve been offered work as a sports person or creative worker
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
A creative worker is someone who works in the creative industry, eg an actor, dancer, musician or film crew member.
You need to be sponsored - ie have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer - before you can apply to come to the UK to work.
The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.
How long it takes
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you’re due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How much you pay for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply (outside the UK)||Extend or switch by post in the UK||Extend or switch in person in the UK (premium service)|
|If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia||£175||£175||£675|
|All dependants||£230 each||£230 each||£730 each|
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK for a maximum of up to 12 months, or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus up to 28 days, whichever is shorter.
You may be able to extend your visa.
Your stay must start no more than 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship.
What you can and can’t do
- study (for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate)
- work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- do a second job in the same sector and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
- do a job on the shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week
- work as a sportsperson for your national team and as a sports broadcaster if you’re here under the sporting subcategory
- bring your family
- get public funds
- start your own business