Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting visa (Tier 5)


You must apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa if:

You’ll still need to apply for this visa if you’re travelling to the UK from the Republic of Ireland and you’re from outside the EEA and Switzerland.

A creative worker is someone who works in the creative industry, for example an actor, dancer, musician or film crew member.


You need to have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer before you can apply to come to the UK to work.

The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.

How long it takes

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before the date you’re due to start work. This date is on your certificate of sponsorship.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.


Who you’re applying for Fee
You £244
If you’re a citizen of Turkey or FYR Macedonia £189
All dependants £244 each

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How long you can stay

You can come to the UK for a maximum of up to 12 months, or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus up to 28 days, whichever is shorter.

You may be able to extend your visa.

Your stay must start no more than 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • study (for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate)
  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • do a second job in the same sector and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
  • do a job on the shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week
  • work as a sportsperson for your national team and as a sports broadcaster if you’re here under the sporting subcategory
  • bring your family

You cannot: