Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Charity Worker) visa


You can apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Charity Worker) visa if:


You must have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer before you can apply to come to the UK to work.

The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.

How long it will take

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before the date you’re due to start work. This date is on your certificate of sponsorship.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to see how long getting a visa might take in your country.


How much you pay for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Charity Worker) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.

Who you’re applying for Apply (outside the UK) Extend online or by post in the UK Extend in person in the UK (premium service)
You £235 £235 £825
If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia £180 £180 £770
All dependants £235 each £235 each £825 each

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How long you can stay

You can stay for up to 12 months or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever is shorter.

You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

You can’t:

  • receive any payment for work
  • take a permanent job
  • get public funds