You can apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Charity Worker) visa if:
- you want to do unpaid voluntary work for a charity
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You need to be sponsored - ie have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer - before you can apply to come to the UK to work.
The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to see how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How much you pay for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Charity Worker) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply (outside the UK)||Extend or switch by post in the UK||Extend or switch in person in the UK (premium service)|
|If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia||£153||£153||£553|
|All dependants||£208 each||£208 each||£608 each|
How long you can stay
You can stay for up to 12 months or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever is shorter.
You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job.
What you can and can’t do
- work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- do a 2nd job in the same sector at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
- do a job on the Tier 2 shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week
- bring family members with you
- receive any payment for work
- take a permanent job
- get public funds