Switch to this visa
You can apply to change (‘switch’) to a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You can apply if you’re a:
- student, whether studying, re-sitting an examination or writing a thesis
- student union sabbatical officer
- student nurse
- postgraduate doctor or dentist
- Tier 4 visa
- sponsored researcher who came to the UK on a work permit and you want to continue in the same job with your sponsor
You must have completed a UK bachelor’s or master’s degree during your last grant of leave.
You must also have both of the following, whether you have the relevant qualifications or study time:
- a certificate of sponsorship reference number from your UK sponsor
- £945 in savings in your bank account for 90 days before you apply, or confirmation from your sponsor that you will not claim public funds during your stay
|Who you’re applying for||Switch to this visa (standard service)||Switch to this visa (premium service)|
|If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia||£189||£799|
|All dependants||£244 each||£854 each|
How to switch your visa
You can apply online.
If you want to apply in person to get a quick decision, follow the instructions in the online application.
You can add dependants to your online application - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.
How long it takes
A decision will be made:
- within 8 weeks for online or postal applications
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances, for example you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.