Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa
You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if all of the following apply:
- you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach recognised by your sport’s governing body as internationally established at the highest level
- your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
- your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you’re due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How much you pay for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply||Extend or switch online||Extend or switch in person (premium service)|
|If you’re a national of Turkey or Macedonia||£532||£622||£1,212|
|All dependants||£587 each person||£677 each person||£1,267 each person|
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa for up to 3 years.
You can apply to extend this visa for up to another 3 years to a maximum stay of 6 years.
What you can and can’t do
- work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- do a second job
- play for your national team in the UK
- work as a sports broadcaster
- do voluntary work
- study as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
- travel abroad and return to the UK
- bring family members with you
- get public funds
- start or run a business
- apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor