Tier 2 (General) visa

4. Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • your certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • proof of your knowledge of English
  • a bank or building society statement or letter that shows you have enough personal savings (unless your certificate of sponsorship shows your sponsor can support you)
  • a current passport or travel document to prove you can travel - you need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa
  • expired passports or travel documents if you need them to show your travel history
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country
  • a criminal record certificate - if you’re working with vulnerable people

You must provide the original plus a photocopy of every document you provide.

If your documents aren’t in English or Welsh you’ll also need to send a certified translation.

To find out all the documents that are accepted, read the guidance on supporting documents.

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

Criminal record certificate

You’ll need to provide a criminal record certificate if you work in:

  • education, for example teachers, education advisers and school inspectors
  • healthcare, for example nurses, doctors, managers, pharmacists, dentists, ophthalmic opticians
  • therapy, for example psychologists, speech and language therapists
  • social services, for example social workers, managers, probation officers

Check the full list of professions that need to get a certificate.

You’ll need a certificate from any country you’ve lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.