If you work in healthcare or education

There are different salary rules if you work in some healthcare or education jobs. Your salary must be at least £20,480 - or more if your job’s ‘going rate’ is higher.

The going rates for these jobs are based on the national pay scales set by the relevant independent body, for example the NHS.

View the list of eligible healthcare and education jobs to see if your job is included.

National pay scales tables

If your job is on the list, your salary must be at least the national pay scale rate for the job you’ll be doing.

These going rates apply whether you’ll be working in the public or private sector.

Check how much you’ll need to be paid in the:

Ask your employer if you’re not sure what your role or pay band will be.

If your job is on the shortage occupation list

You and your family will pay a lower application fee if your job is in a shortage occupation.

View the list of healthcare and education shortage occupations to see if your job is included.

Make sure you check there’s a shortage in the part of the UK you’ll be working in - England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If your job is on the list, the reduced fee for each person applying is:

  • £479 if you’re staying for up to 3 years
  • £943 if you’re staying for more than 3 years

The fee is the same whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK.

You’ll also need to pay the healthcare surcharge and prove you can support yourself in the UK - check how much money you’ll need.