Driving licences for taxis and private hire vehicles

Skip to contents of guide

Outside London

You must apply to your local council for a licence to drive a taxi or private hire vehicle (PHV).


To apply you must:

  • be able to work legally in the UK
  • have held a full GB or Northern Ireland driving licence - or a full EU driving licence - for at least 12 months

You must also be a ‘fit and proper person’ - which means your background and character will be checked. Your council may carry out an enhanced criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

You may also need:

  • a medical examination
  • a ‘knowledge’ test
  • to take a driving test


Ask your council what the requirements are in your area, including the fees they charge and how to apply.


Ask your council how to renew your licence.

From 4 April 2022 you’ll need to complete a tax check telling HMRC how you pay tax on your earnings related to your taxi or private hire licence. Find out what rules you’ll need to follow before you can renew your licence.