Complain about tax credits
You can complain about things like unreasonable delays or the way you’ve been treated.
How to complain
complain online (you’ll need a Government Gateway account)
call or write to the Tax Credit Office (telephone complaints are usually dealt with faster)
If you write, include:
- your National Insurance number
- your full name, address and telephone number
- details of what happened and when
- how you’d like your complaint settled
- the word ‘Complaint’ at the top of your letter
If you don’t agree with the response
Ask the Tax Credit Office to review their response and send you a final decision.
If you’re unhappy with the final decision, you can contact the Independent Adjudicator.
You may be able to claim costs (for example for postage or phone calls) if the Tax Credit Office admits they made a mistake. Ask them for details.