Complain about tax credits
You can complain about things like unreasonable delays or the way you’ve been treated.
How to complain
- complain online
- call or write (telephone complaints are usually dealt with faster)
To complain online, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you complain.
You can call or write to the Tax Credit Office. If you write, include:
- your National Insurance number
- your full name, address and telephone number
- details of what happened and when
- how you’d like your complaint settled
- the word ‘Complaint’ at the top of your letter
If you do not agree with the response
Ask the Tax Credit Office to review their response and send you a final decision.
If you’re unhappy with the final decision, you can contact the Independent Adjudicator.
You may be able to claim costs (for example for postage or phone calls) if the Tax Credit Office admits they made a mistake. Ask them for details.