2. Complaints

You can complain about things like:

  • mistakes that have been made
  • unreasonable delays
  • the way you’ve been treated

How to complain

You can call or write to the Tax Credit Office.

When you complain, include:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your full name, address and telephone number
  • details of what happened and when
  • how you’d like your complaint settled
  • the word ‘Complaint’ at the top of your letter

The Tax Credit Office will let you know when to expect a response.

If you don’t agree with the response

Ask the Tax Credit Office to review their response and send you a final decision.

If you’re unhappy with the final decision, you can contact the Independent Adjudicator.

You may be able to claim costs (eg for postage, phone calls) if the Tax Credit Office admits they made a mistake. Ask them for details.