Take goods temporarily out of the UK

Skip to contents of guide

Get an ATA Carnet

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on how to apply for an ATA Carnet and how to use your ATA Carnet now apply. This page is currently out of date.

You can use an ATA Carnet in around 70 countries.

Countries have their own rules about what goods you can bring in with an ATA Carnet. Check with the issuer in the country you’re exporting to.

If you cannot use an ATA Carnet (or do not want to pay the fee), use a Duplicate List to temporarily export your goods instead.

If you do not get an ATA Carnet or duplicate list

You’ll need to declare your goods and pay duties every time your goods go through customs.

You’ll also need to follow the full customs rules and processes for exports and imports.

You can check the rules on:

How to apply

You can apply for an ATA Carnet:

If you’re using a freight forwarder, they’ll usually fill this in for you.

It usually costs £325.96 and you’ll need to pay a security deposit.

If you’re sending goods to Taiwan, apply for a Taiwan Carnet instead.

ATA Carnets are usually valid for 1 year. Ask the overseas customs authority if you need to extend it. You’ll need their written approval before you apply for a replacement Carnet.

Using an ATA Carnet

Call the helpline when you’re planning your journey.

They’ll check that a customs officer can stamp your Carnet at the port or airport your goods are being shipped from.

HMRC imports and exports helpline
Telephone: 0300 322 9434
Textphone: 0300 200 3719
Outside the UK: +44 29 2050 1261
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

When you return to the UK

Go through the red channel at customs if you’re bringing the goods back in your baggage.

Get help with ATA Carnets

Contact the ATA Carnet Unit if you have a question.

National ATA Carnet Unit
Telephone: 0300 322 7064
Find out about call charges