Take goods temporarily out of the UK

Skip to contents of guide

If you do not use an ATA Carnet

Use a Duplicate List to temporarily export goods if:

  • the country you’re exporting to does not recognise the ATA Carnet
  • you do not want to pay for an ATA Carnet

As with an ATA Carnet, you do not have to pay customs duty or tax. There’s no fee, but it’s more complicated than exporting something with an ATA Carnet.

How to export goods using a Duplicate List

Before you export the goods, prepare a list on company stationery. Include:

  • a description of the goods
  • how many there are
  • serial numbers, if the goods have them
  • value of the goods

At customs, you’ll need to provide:

Contact the helpline in advance to make the arrangements.

HMRC imports and exports helpline
Telephone: 0300 322 9434
Textphone: 0300 200 3719
Outside the UK: +44 29 2050 1261
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges