You can apply for a Student Visitor visa if:
- you’re doing a short course of study in the UK, eg an English language course or a training course
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.
- £80 for a visa to study a short course
- £144 for a visa to study an English language course
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for:
- 6 months to study a short course
- 11 months if you’re studying an English language course
What you can and can’t do
- do a short course of study in the UK, such as a beginner’s English language course or a training course
- study at a state school
- work or carry out any business
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or a civil partnership
- come to the UK specifically for private medical treatment
- extend this visa
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you - they must apply separately
- get public funds