You can apply for a Short-term study visa if:
- you’re doing a short course of study in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You need a Standard Visitor visa if you’re an academic visitor.
What you can and cannot do
- do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course
- do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad
- study at a state-funded school
- work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business
- extend this visa
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you - they must apply separately
- get public funds
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for:
- 6 months - for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 16 or over
- 11 months - if you’re 16 or over and taking an English language course
- £97 for a 6 month visa
- £186 for an 11 month visa
How long it takes
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.