Extend your visa
You may be able to extend your visa as long as the total time you spend in the UK is less than 6 months. For example if you apply for a 3 month visa, you can apply to extend it for 3 more months.
Read the guidance to find out if you can extend your visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
If you’re receiving private medical treatment in the UK
You can apply to extend your visa for a further 6 months if you:
- have paid for any treatment you’ve already had in the UK
- can and will pay the further costs of your treatment
- continue to meet the eligibility requirements
You must also get a medical practitioner or NHS consultant who’s registered in the UK to provide:
- proof of arrangements for your private medical consultation or treatment
- a letter saying how long your treatment is likely to take
- details of the progress of your treatment, if it’s already started
You must apply while you’re still in the UK.
How to extend your visa
- download the form and guidance and apply by post - the address is on the form
- download the form and apply in person at a premium service centre
You must pay:
- £993 if you apply to extend your visa by post
- £1,603 if you apply in person
How long it takes
A decision will be made:
- within 8 weeks for postal applications
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.
Step 1 Check if you need a visa
Step 2 Prepare the evidence you need
Step 3 Apply
The cost of your visa depends on how long you're staying in the UK.
You should get a decision within 3 weeks of your appointment.
You can pay an extra £212 for a decision within 5 working days or £956 for a decision within 24 working hours.
Step 4 Attend an appointment
You'll be told when a decision has been made about your visa.
Step 5 Travel to the UK