Documents you must provide
When you apply you’ll need to provide a current passport or other valid travel identification.
You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa. Your passport must be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.
You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.
Read the full list of supporting documents you can provide.
You might need to provide additional documents if you’re visiting the UK:
- for private medical treatment
- to apply as an organ donor
- as an academic on sabbatical and want to stay for 12 months
- as a prospective entrepreneur
- to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
- in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
Where to send your documents
You’ll be told where to send your documents when you apply.
Any original documents you submit as part of your application will be sent back to you.
Other information you’ll need
You’ll need to provide the following:
- the dates you’re planning to travel to the UK
- details of where you’ll be staying during your visit
- how much you think your trip will cost
- your current home address and how long you’ve lived there
- your parents’ names and dates of birth
- how much you earn in a year
You might also need:
- details of your travel history for the past 10 years (as shown in your passport)
- your employer’s address and telephone number
- your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number
- the name and address of anyone paying for your trip
- the name, address and passport number of any family members you have in the UK
- details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences you have committed
Step 1 Check if you need a visa
Step 2 Prepare the evidence you need
Step 3 Apply
The cost of your visa depends on how long you're staying in the UK.
You should get a decision within 3 weeks of your appointment.
You can pay an extra £212 for a decision within 5 working days or £956 for a decision within 24 working hours.
Step 4 Attend an appointment
You'll be told when a decision has been made about your visa.
Step 5 Travel to the UK