Small commercial vessel registrations, surveys and inspections
You must have small commercial boats surveyed to make sure that they comply with UK safety laws.
Any boat that’s not a pleasure vessel is considered to be a commercial boat.
Before going to sea, the boat must be tested on its:
- control systems
- onboard machinery
- electrical equipment
Register a small commercial vessel
Contact the UK Ship Register (UKSR) for more information on registering small commercial vessels under 100 gross tonnes (GT).
UK Ship Register
Contact the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) if you want to register a commercial vessel over 100 GT.
Small commercial vessel surveys
Your boat will be surveyed to one of the following codes of practice:
- the safety of small commercial motor vessels
- the safety of small commercial sailing vessels
- the safety of small workboats and pilot boats
- the safety of small vessels in commercial use for sport or pleasure operating from a nominated departure point
- small vessels in commercial use for sport or pleasure, workboats and pilot boats - alternative construction standards
Read more information on small craft codes on the Maritime and Coastguard Agency website.