1. 1What's your situation?

    You have a work visa

    Change this answer

  2. 2What's your visa?

    Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

    Change this answer

You can apply if you have a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Check if you meet the requirements for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’).


You can apply if you were endorsed in your field as either:

  • a recognised leader (‘exceptional talent’) - you must have been living and working in the UK on this visa for at least 3 years
  • an emerging leader (‘exceptional promise’) - you must have been living and working in the UK on this visa for at least 5 years

You must also:

  • have spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 month period (known as continuous residence)
  • still be endorsed by the organisation that gave you the letter of endorsement to get a visa
  • still be doing paid work in the field you came to the UK to work in

You must:

When your application can be refused

Your application might be refused if, for example, you’ve:

  • got a criminal record in the UK or another country
  • provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office
  • broken UK immigration law

Read the guidance on why applications can be refused.

How to apply

You must apply online. You’ll be told whether your application has been successful within 6 months.

You can get a decision within 1 working day if you pay extra to use the super priority service.

You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • because of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction

After you submit your application you’ll be asked to provide your fingerprints and a digital photo (called ‘biometric information’).

Get help using a computer to apply online

You can get help with:

  • accessing a computer or the internet
  • finding the right information on GOV.UK

You cannot get advice on:

  • whether you’re eligible to apply
  • what information to put in your application
  • an application you’ve already made

Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944

Family members (dependants)

Your partner and children under 18 can apply on the same form as you if they’re eligible.

Eligibility for partners

Your partner may qualify if all of the following apply:

  • they have permission to be in the UK as your partner
  • they’ve been living in the UK with you for at least 2 years if they applied before 9 July 2012 or 5 years if they applied on or after 9 July 2012
  • your relationship is genuine
  • you intend to carry on living together
  • you have enough income to support yourselves and your dependants
  • you’re not using public funds

They must:

Eligibility for children

Your child can apply if they:

  • were previously given permission to stay in the UK as your child
  • are not married or in a civil partnership
  • will live with you and be supported by you without using public funds

You and your child’s other parent must both be settled in the UK legally, or currently applying to settle, for the child to be allowed to settle.

Your child can also apply to settle in one of the following situations:

  • you’re the child’s sole surviving parent
  • you have sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing
  • there are serious or compelling family or other considerations, for example you (if you’re settled in the UK) or your child has a serious illness

If your child is 16 or older when you apply you’ll need to provide proof of where they live. Provide 2 documents from this list:

  • bank statement
  • credit card bill
  • driving licence
  • NHS registration document
  • a letter from their current school, college or university, on headed paper and issued by an authorised official of that organisation

The documents you provide cannot be more than a month old on the date you make your application.

You need to give details of any payments your child makes for rent or upkeep per month.

You must explain why if your child does not live with you and your partner. If it’s because they’re studying, you must provide confirmation from the university or college on headed paper and issued by an authorised official.

You’ll also need to show that you’ve supported your child while they’re away by providing bank statements for you and your child covering the 3 months before the date you apply.

If they’re over 18 by the time you apply, they must:

They must apply online.


It costs:

  • £2,389 for each person applying
  • an extra £610 if you use the super priority service