Beta This is new guidance. Complete our quick 5-question survey to help us improve it.
Digital Service Standard
6. Evaluate tools and systems
Evaluate what tools and systems will be used to build, host, operate and measure the service, and how to procure them.
You must spend time checking the value of tools and systems to meet point 6 of the Digital Service Standard.
You’ll have to explain how you’ve done this at your service assessments.
How point 6 improves your service
Evaluating the tools and systems you use to build your service helps you to:
- check any risks or constraints associated with them
- avoid contracts that lock you in and stop you improving your service
- build a sustainable system which you can easily manage after your service goes live
How you’ll be assessed
Your assessment and the questions the assessors ask you will vary depending on your service and what it does.
In the alpha assessment
To pass point 6 in the alpha assessment, you usually need to describe:
- the languages, frameworks and other technical choices you’ve made in alpha, and how this will affect the decisions you make in beta
- the set of programming tools you’d like to choose for beta and why
- how you’ll get value for money when buying any tools
- how you’ll monitor the status of your service
In the beta assessment
To pass point 6 in the beta assessment you usually need to explain:
- how you’re managing the limits placed on your service by the technology stack and development toolchain you’ve chosen
- what you’ve bought and how you’re getting value for money
- demonstrate how you’ll monitor the status of your service
- the support arrangements you have in place, in normal hours and out of hours
- any decisions you’ve outsourced to third parties and why you chose to do this
In the live assessment
To pass point 6 in the live assessment, you usually need to:
- describe the tech stack changes you made during beta and why
- describe the development toolchain changes you’ve made during beta and why
- explain how you’re continuing to get value for money from the systems you chose and bought at beta
- explain or demonstrate how you’ll check if the service is healthy
- explain the support arrangements that you’ve set up for live
- explain any decisions you’ve outsourced and why you chose to do this
Explain your service’s evolution
At each phase, you should explain how your service has evolved since its last assessment.
Find out more about: