Beta This is new guidance. Complete our quick 5-question survey to help us improve it.
Digital Service Standard
14. Encourage everyone to use the digital service
Encourage all users to use the digital service (with assisted digital support if required) alongside an appropriate plan to phase out non-digital channels and services.
You must encourage everyone to use the digital service to meet point 14 of the Digital Service Standard.
You’ll have to explain how you’ve done this at your service assessments.
How point 14 improves your service
Encouraging people to use your digital service allows you to:
- save money by reducing the number of people using non-digital channels, eg call centres
- help your users to develop their digital skills
- give better assisted digital support to those who can’t use digital services on their own
How you’ll be assessed
Your assessment and the questions the assessors ask you will vary depending on your service and what it does.
In the alpha assessment
To pass, you usually need to talk about:
- your plan for increasing digital take-up
- the other channels your service is delivered through
- the data you collect on your other channels
- how you collect data on service usage for each channel
- the organisations and groups that help your user with the existing digital or non-digital services
- insights from research with real users, user demographics, attitudes, behaviours and channel preferences, and user journey maps
- how each channel meets different users’ needs
- how you’ve designed the digital service in a way that gives it clear advantages over other channels
In the beta assessment
To pass, you usually need to:
- explain how you plan to increase digital take-up during beta
- show the evidence behind your plans for increasing digital take-up
- show weekly analytics or metrics for usage volumes across channels
- show how you’ve improved the way you communicate with users based on user insight
- discuss analytics data that shows how your new ways of communicating have performed
- explain how you’re planning to promote digital take-up
In the live assessment
To pass you usually need to explain:
- your plan for moving users to the digital service including yearly targets for increasing digital take-up for the next 5 years
- your plan to phase out non-digital channels as digital take-up increases in the next 5 years
- the evidence behind your plans for increasing digital take-up and phasing out non-digital channels
- usage volumes (and trends) per channel
Explain your service’s evolution
At each phase you should explain how your service has evolved since its last assessment.
Read these guides to help you encourage everyone to use your digital service:
Find out more about: