Beta This is new guidance. Complete our quick 5-question survey to help us improve it.
Digital Service Standard
15. Collect performance data
Use tools for analysis that collect performance data. Use this data to analyse the success of the service and to translate this into features and tasks for the next phase of development.
You must collect performance data to meet point 15 of the Digital Service Standard.
You’ll have to explain how you did this at your service assessments.
How point 15 improves your service
Collecting performance data means you can continuously improve your service by:
- learning its strengths and weaknesses
- using the data to support improvements you make
How you’ll be assessed
Your assessment and the questions the assessors ask you will vary depending on your service and what it does.
To pass the alpha, beta and live assessments, you usually need to:
- explain how you decided the data you need to capture, where you need to capture it from and how you’ll capture it based on the projected size and shape of the service
- show you have an ongoing roadmap for performance analysis and someone in the team responsible for identifying actionable data insights during alpha, including assisted digital support
- show you’ve used qualitative and quantitative data to help improve your understanding of user needs and identify areas for improvement
- explain how you’ve chosen suitable data analysis tools
- show you’ve addressed information security and privacy issues appropriately
- explain how you’ve mapped user journeys through the service and tracked them to identify completions and areas of poor performance
- show how you’re measuring assisted digital support
- explain the next performance analysis user story
- show you’ve discussed a start page and an end page with GOV.UK (beta assessment only)
To pass the beta and live assessments you usually need to show how you’ll collect feedback from users, during and after their user journey.
Explain your service’s evolution
At each phase, you should explain how your service has evolved since its last assessment.
Read these guides to help you collect performance data:
- Using data to improve your service: an introduction
- Choosing digital analytics tools
- Measuring digital take-up
- Measuring user satisfaction
- Measuring cost per transaction
- Measuring completion rate
- Sharing data on the Performance Platform
Find out more about service assessments.
- Last update:
Guidance first published