Schools admissions

Complain about the appeals process

You can complain about the way the appeal was carried out, but you can not complain about the decision itself.

Maintained schools

Complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Fill in the online complaint form.

Other schools

Complain to the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) about an appeal made to:

  • free schools
  • academies
  • university technical colleges
  • studio schools

Fill in the online complaint form – sign up for an account if you want to save your form.

Contact ESFA if you need a paper form instead.

You should get a decision on your complaint within 9 weeks (45 working days). You’ll be told if it’ll take longer.

You’ll get a letter explaining the reasons for the decision.

If ESFA decides something went wrong with the appeals panel, it may:

  • ask the school to hold a new appeal hearing with a different panel
  • recommend the school reviews its appeals process

If a maintained school becomes an academy

If you complain about an admission appeal hearing held by a maintained school that then converts to academy status, this complaint will be investigated by the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman will pass any actions to ESFA.