Warning You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council


If you wish to excavate under any public road, footway or footpath, you must have a valid road opening permit issued by your local authority.

Your application must be made through your local authority and a fee may be payable.

If your work could possibly affect the apparatus of any statutory undertakers then you will be given details of this apparatus and you must give written notice of your application to these undertakers.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent issued by the local authority.