Contact your local council or the Highways Agency to report obstructions or debris on public roads.

It’s an offence to block a public road and you may be fined if you cause an obstruction.

Local roads

Examples of obstructions include:

  • builders’ skips and materials
  • scaffolding/hoardings

Contact your local council to report an obstruction, litter or debris on local roads.

You can also tell your council about blockages of public rights of way.

Major roads

The Highways Agency is responsible for the ‘strategic road network’. All other roads are looked after by local councils.

Call the Highways Agency to to report an obstruction on the Strategic Road Network.

Highways Agency
0300 123 5000
Find out about call charges

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.