UK visas and registering with the police

Who usually needs to register

Check if you need to register with the police.

You’ll usually need to register if all of the following apply:

  • you’re 16 or older
  • your visa (or permission to stay in the UK) is for longer than 6 months
  • your nationality means you must register
  • you’re not exempt

Nationalities that usually need to register

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

You don’t need to register if you have dual nationality with one of these countries and a country that’s not on the list.

You may also need to register if:

  • you’re stateless
  • you hold a non-national travel document

When you’re exempt

You don’t need to register with the police if you have permission to live permanently in the UK, or are a family member of an EEA citizen.

You also don’t need to register if you’ve got permission to stay in the UK as:

If you don’t have to register, your dependants probably won’t - check if you’re unsure.