Some people need to register with the police after arriving in the UK with a visa, or after getting permission to stay for longer in the UK.
If you need to register, you must go to the police within 7 days of you:
- arriving in the UK if you applied for a visa from outside the UK
- getting your biometric residence permit if you applied to stay for longer from inside the UK
Check if you need to register
If you applied outside the UK
Check your visa ‘vignette’ (sticker in your passport). You must register if it has ‘Police registration’ or ‘Register with police in 7 days of entry’ on it.
If you applied inside the UK
Check the letter you get from the Home Office when your application’s approved. It will tell you if you must register.
If you don’t register, your permission to stay might be shortened and you’ll have to leave the UK. You can also be stopped from getting or extending a UK visa in future.
After you register
The police will give you a registration certificate. Keep it while your visa or permission to stay in the UK lasts so that you can:
- prove that you’re registered with the police
- tell the police if your details change
- return to the UK if you travel
- apply to stay for longer in the UK
If you lose your certificate, you’ll usually need to register again. Check with the police station for your area.