Register as a childminder or childcare provider (England)

After you're registered

You must continue to meet the registration standards for the whole time you’re working as a childminder or childcare provider.

You’ll be monitored through regular inspections and must pay an annual fee.

Keep your details up to date

You must tell Ofsted about any changes that affect your childcare.

You can use Ofsted Online to report changes to:

  • the premises
  • contact details
  • the staff or adults living on the childminding premises
  • childcare hours
  • the registered person or nominated individual

You’ll need to log in using your Government Gateway ID and choose ‘self-service’.

You can read a full list of changes you must report. If you’re on the:

Reporting accidents and incidents

Use the early years incident online form to report:

  • allegations that someone living, working or looking after children on the premises has committed serious harm or abuse
  • anything that might affect the suitability of someone on the premises to look after children
  • a serious accident, injury or illness to a child, for example food poisoning
  • a child’s death

Report other types of incident by email to, for example if you close your premises due to bad weather.

If you need to cancel an inspection because you’ve closed your premises for any reason, call Ofsted on 0300 123 1231.

If you want to work on new premises

You must apply for approval if you want to provide childcare on a new non-domestic premises.

Your application is approved or refused in the same way as your original registration.

If you currently only work on domestic premises

If you’re a childminder or provide childcare on domestic premises, you can apply to work on non-domestic premises for up to half of your time.

You’ll need to get approval for each premises you want to provide childcare on.

Tell Ofsted about a change

When it’s not possible to notify Ofsted in advance, you must tell them as soon as you can. It’s an offence not to tell Ofsted within 14 days of a change happening.

Telephone: 0300 123 1231
Textphone/minicom: 0161 618 8524
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Or write to:

Piccadilly Gate
Store Street
M1 2WD

Remove yourself from the register

Contact Ofsted if you want to be removed from either the Childcare Register or the Early Years Register.

Resigning from the register doesn’t affect any future application you make to provide childcare.