Trackworker fatality at Trafford Park
Trackworker struck and fatally injured at Trafford Park West Junction, Manchester, 26 October 2005.
On Wednesday 26th October a train travelling between Liverpool and Manchester struck and fatally injured a railway trackworker at Trafford Park West Junction, Manchester. The deceased was employed by Schweizer UK, who were operating as a subcontractor to Carillion. At the time of the incident he was carrying out a visual inspection of the track layout with a colleague and a Carillion employee. In addition to the fatality, the Carillion employee received a minor injury.
The immediate cause of the accident was that the staff on the track did not respond to the approach of the train and move out of its path. There were several causal and contributory factors involved.
RAIB has made nine recommendations as a result of its investigation. They cover:
- the safety certification of the staff involved
- training and performance assessment regimes
- research into understanding the causes of rule violation
- improved briefing of staff and monitoring of compliance with safety requirements
- review and amendment and re-briefing site staff regarding emergency procedures
Response to recommendations:
- RAIB will periodically update the status of recommendations as reported to us by the relevant safety authority or public body
- RAIB may add comment, particularly if we have concerns regarding these responses