Dispatch of a train with an unsecured load, Basford Hall Yard
Dispatch of a freight train with an unsecured load, Basford Hall Yard, Crewe, 21 February 2006
On Tuesday 21 February 2006 a freight train travelling from Crewe to Toton, near Nottingham, contained 14 wagons which had unsecured loads of redundant track panels. Although the unsecured load remained in place throughout the journey, there was potential for it to move or be shed, which could have resulted in a serious incident.
The train was dispatched onto the mainline railway with an incorrect consist of wagons. There was a breakdown in communications between staff at the freight yard and the procedure for checking departing trains was not properly carried out.
RAIB has made five recommendations aimed at:
- ensuring the quality and safety of shunting work,
- the control, issuing and briefing of methods of work at Basford Hall Yard; and
- appropriate consideration of staff fatigue.
Response to recommendations:
- RAIB will periodically update the status of recommendations as reported to us by the relevant safety authority or public body.
- RAIB may add comment, particularly if we have concerns regarding these responses.