You can apply for a Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa if you:
- want to come to the UK for private medical care
- are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
A Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa costs £80.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 6 months.
You can apply to extend your visa, but you’ll need added proof from a registered UK doctor about your treatment and costs.
What you can and can’t do
- have a consultation or be treated for an illness
- donate an organ to someone having private medical care
- live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- work, including selling products
- get public funds
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
- come to the UK to be a surrogate mother
- donate an organ to someone undergoing NHS treatment - you should apply for a General Visitor visa instead
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately