Apply for this licence

Start now


All products used for the protection of plants in agriculture, horticulture, forestry, industrial or amenity situations, and home gardens must be authorised by the Chemicals Regulation Directorate (CRD), of the Health and Safety Executive, before they can be sold, distributed, stored or used in the UK.  This includes imported products.

Plant protection products (PPPs) may be used to control fungi, bacteria, viruses, insects, weeds, molluscs and any other ‘pest’ that would be harmful to crops or garden plants. Weed killers used on hard surfaces to control weeds are also included. 

Active substances used in PPPs may include micro-organisms (such as bacteria) or plant extracts which are classed as biopesticides, as well as chemically manufactured compounds.

Further information

Email Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for enquiries about your application.

Contact Defra for enquiries on pesticides and detergents.

Telephone: 03459 33 55 77
From outside the UK: +44 20 7238 6951
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges