1. Overview

You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:

How long it will take

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

You can check the guide processing times to see how long getting a visa might take in your country.


A Permitted Paid Engagement visa costs £83.

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • be a student examiner or assessor
  • take part in selection panels for the education, arts or research organisation you’re invited by as a highly qualified academic
  • give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role
  • examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from, by invitation of an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
  • provide advocacy in a particular area of law
  • take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
  • take part in fashion modelling assignments

You can’t:

  • do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa
  • extend this visa or switch to another visa
  • live in the UK for extended periods
  • get public funds
  • study
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
  • get private medical treatment
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately