You may be able to visit the UK for a paid engagement if you’ve been invited as an expert in your profession.
You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:
- are invited by a UK-based organisation or client
- want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system
- meet the other eligibility requirements
You may not have to apply for a visa. What you need to do depends on your nationality.
What you can and cannot do
You can be invited by a UK-based organisation or client to:
- be a student examiner or assessor
- take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you’re invited by an education, arts or research organisation
- give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role
- examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you’re invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
- provide advocacy in a particular area of law
- take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
- take part in fashion modelling assignments
You can also do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attend meetings.
- do paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home, other than what’s allowed by your visa
- extend this visa or switch to another visa
- live in the UK for extended periods
- get public funds (benefits)
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately
Read the guidance for more information about what you can and cannot do with a Permitted Paid Engagement visa.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month.
When to apply and how long it takes
If you need a visa, you must apply online before you come to the UK.
As part of your application, you’ll need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to prove your identity and provide your documents.
Allow time to attend your appointment, as the visa application centre could be in another country.
The visa application centre may keep your passport and documents while processing your application.
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Getting a decision
Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Find out how to get your visa decision faster - this depends on what country you’re in.
A Permitted Paid Engagement visa costs £95.