You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:
- want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system
- are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- meet the other eligibility requirements
You may not need to apply for a visa if you’re from a certain country - check if you need this visa before you apply.
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can check the guide processing times to see how long getting a visa might take in your country.
A Permitted Paid Engagement visa costs £87.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month.
What you can and can’t do
- be a student examiner or assessor
- take part in selection panels for the education, arts or research organisation you’re invited by as a highly qualified academic
- give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role
- examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from, by invitation of an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
- provide advocacy in a particular area of law
- take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
- take part in fashion modelling assignments
- do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, eg meetings
- do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa
- extend this visa or switch to another visa
- live in the UK for extended periods
- get public funds
- study for more than 30 days - studying can’t be the main reason for your visit
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately