HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has tested and recognised this free payroll software for businesses with fewer than 10 employees.
You should consider which features you need and make sure the software you choose has those features.
|1 2 Cloud Payroll||Free Cloud Payroll, Free Cloud Bureau Payroll|
|Accentra Technologies||Primo Payroll with Auto Enrolment (up to 10 employees)|
|BrightPay||BrightPay Free (up to 3 employees)|
|Capium||Capium Payroll (up to 3 employees)|
|Hartigan Software Design||RTI Lite|
|HMRC||Basic PAYE Tools|
|IRIS Software||IRIS Payroll Basics|
|Payroo||Free Payroll Star, Free Payroll Bureau, Free Payroll with CIS|
Step 1 Decide what type of employee you need
and Check you can afford to take on employees
- Check how much the National Minimum Wage is
- Find out how much National Insurance you need to pay for your employees
- Check how much sick pay your employees are eligible for
- Check how much you need to pay towards your employee's pension
- Check how much Maternity Leave you need to pay your employees
- Check how much Paternity Leave you need to pay your employees
Step 2 Make your workplace safe and accessible for employees
- Prevent discrimination
- Make your workplace accessible for employees with disabilities or health conditions
- Keep employee information and data safe
- Fire safety
- Health and safety
You also need to make checks when you recruit and employ someone.
Step 3 Register as an employer and set up PAYE
You need to register with HMRC so you can pay tax and national insurance for your employees.
Step 4 Check your responsibilities around workplace pensions
Step 5 Get Employers' Liability insurance
Step 6 Recruit and employ staff