If you can't agree

You must appoint a surveyor if you and your neighbour can’t agree. You can appoint a surveyor together or each appoint your own. The surveyors will then agree on a ‘party wall award’.

This is a legal document which says:

  • what work should happen
  • how and when it will be carried out
  • who will pay for which part and how much will be paid (including surveyor’s fees)

You can’t act as your own surveyor.

If your neighbour doesn’t appoint a surveyor

You can appoint a surveyor on behalf of your neighbour if they refuse or fail to do so themselves.

If you don’t agree with the award

You can appeal against an award at a county court within 14 days of receiving it. You need to file an appellant’s notice in a county court, explaining why you’re appealing.