5. Further information

Further financial help

In addition to the NHS bursary you may also be able to apply for extra help if you:

  • have children
  • have adult dependants
  • have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty
  • if you do a practice placement

To find out more about extra help contact the NHS Business Services Authority.

Childcare costs

You may be able to get the NHS Bursary Childcare Allowance if you have dependent children.

You can’t get this if you’re only entitled to a fees award.

How much you get depends on your circumstances and your household income.

To qualify:

  • you must use a registered childcare provider
  • your children must be under 15 on the first day of the academic year (or under 17 if they have special educational needs)

The allowance pays up to:

  • £126.65 a week for 1 child
  • £187.85 a week for 2 or more children

Parent Learning Allowance

You can claim this allowance if you have a dependent child.

How much you get depends on your household income.

You can claim up to:

  • £1,303 if you’re a degree-level student
  • £1,104 if you’re a Diploma-level student

Adult dependants

You may get the Dependants Allowance if an adult is financially dependent on you when you’re training.

How much you get depends on your household income.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

You can get Disabled Students’ Allowances if you have to pay extra costs because of a:

  • physical disability
  • long-term health condition
  • mental-health difficulty
  • specific learning difficulty like dyslexia

You need to give up-to-date medical evidence of the nature and severity of your disability from a suitably qualified professional.

You can get up to:

  • £20,520 for a helper
  • £5,162 for specialist equipment for the whole course
  • £1,724 for other costs

Practice placement expenses

If you do a practice placement you may be able to claim travel costs if:

  • your practice placement is in a hospital or community health centre and not at your university
  • it costs you more to travel to your placement than it costs to travel to university

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.