3. Eligibility

Whether you can get an NHS bursary depends on:

  • where you live
  • your course
  • your household income
  • whether you’ve already had funding

Where you live

To get an NHS bursary you must:

  • have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years until the first day of the academic year
  • be ordinarily resident in England if you’re a medical or dental student
  • have ‘settled status’ in the UK

You may still be eligible if you don’t meet the residency requirements - find out more from the NHS Business Services Authority.

Your course

You must also be accepted for an NHS funded place on a full or part-time course which leads to professional registration as a:

  • doctor or dentist (you will be eligible for an NHS bursary after the 4th year of your course)
  • chiropodist (including podiatrist), dietician, occupational therapist, orthoptist, physiotherapist, prosthetist, and orthotist, radiographer, radiotherapist, audiologist or a speech and language therapist
  • dental hygienist or dental therapist
  • nurse, midwife or operating department practitioner (degree or diploma course)

NHS bursaries are not intended for:

  • registered first level nurses seeking a second registration in nursing
  • registered midwives seeking a second registration in midwifery

Household income

The total amount you can get depends on your household income.

If you’ve already had funding

You may be eligible for an NHS bursary even if you have already had public funding for higher education.

If you’ve had an NHS bursary and want to change professions, you may also be eligible.

Find out more from the NHS Business Services Authority.

Medical and dental courses

If you’re doing a standard 5 or 6-year medical or dental course, to qualify for a bursary you must:

  • have started your course in September 1998 or later
  • normally live in England
  • be studying in the UK

The size of the bursary depends on your household income but the grant and the maintenance loan don’t.

Graduate-entry accelerated medical and dental programmes

If you’re doing the graduate-entry accelerated medical or dental programme you may get an NHS bursary.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.