Apply for this licence

Start now on the Northern Ireland Environment Agency website (PDF, 78KB)


You must notify the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) of changes to silos, slurry storage and agricultural fuel oil (SSAFO) storage systems.

If you have a new or substantially enlarged or substantially reconstructed silo, slurry storage system or agricultural fuel oil storage system you must give notification at least 28 days before you intend to use it.

How to apply

Download an application form from the NIEA website.

Notification should be given by the person having custody or control of the substances to be stored in the structure. This is usually the owner or tenant of the farm.

NIEA may contact you if they require further information or to arrange an inspection of the structure to ensure compliance with SSAFO.

All new or altered structures must comply with the SSAFO legal requirements.

For substantive works, the notification form must include a certification by the chartered, structural or civil engineer who designed the structure, and supervised the construction or installation, confirming that it complies with SSAFO.

Work is generally deemed ‘substantial’ if the store is increased by more than 10 per cent of original volume, or if more than 10 per cent of the stores supporting walls and /or base area require reconstruction.

Details of single unit tanks, proprietary agricultural fuel oil storage facilities and minor works may be completed by the applicant, who must certify compliance with SSAFO.

Minor works include:

  • installation of pipe-work, channels, and drainage systems
  • construction of slurry transfer channels eg. not designed for more than 2 days storage of slurry
  • installation of Medium Density Polyethylene below-ground pumping mains
  • enlargement or reconstruction of exempt structures of less than 10 per cent

For proprietary or prefabricated tanks and agricultural fuel oil storage facilities you must include a copy of the manufacturer’s certificate, including design specifications for the tank, with your notification.


You may be required to repair or improve existing or new stores which pose a risk of water pollution.