Location: Port of Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates.
Accident Investigation Report 28/2015
Investigation report into marine accident including what happened, safety lessons and recommendations made:
This reports the MAIB’s investigation of the collision between the UK registered container ship Ever Smart and the Marshall Islands registered tanker Alexandra 1 in Jebel Ali, UAE on 11 February 2015. A harbour pilot was transferring from the outbound container ship to the inbound tanker by launch when the vessels collided at the entrance to the port’s approach channel. Both vessels were damaged.
Evergreen Marine (UK) Limited, the managers of Ever Smart and Iships Management Private Limited, the managers of Alexandra 1 have taken action to improve the standard of bridge watchkeeping on board their vessels.
- Ever Smart did not monitor Alexandra 1’s movements; the proximity of the tanker was recognised only seconds before the collision.
- Alexandra 1 was unnecessarily close to the entrance to the port’s approach channel but its movement was not challenged by the port’s vessel traffic service.
- Alexandra 1 was manoeuvred on the basis of scanty VHF radio information.
- A passing agreement was not agreed and promulgated to all parties and the pilot’s departure from Ever Smart was premature.
- Alexandra 1’s AIS was not operating so information such as vessel names was not readily available on board the tanker, the container ship or to the vessel traffic services.
Recommendation (2015/164) made to DP World UAE Region, the operators of Jebel Ali port, is intended to improve the effectiveness of the vessel traffic and pilotage services it provides.