Register your company
You can register your company if you have everything you need to set up.
You can only register online if all of the following apply to your company:
- it is limited by shares
- it uses standard articles of association (‘model articles’)
It costs £12 and can be paid by debit or credit card or Paypal account. Your company is usually registered within 24 hours.
If you choose not to use ‘limited’ in your company name, you must register your company by post using form IN01.
You can also use this service to:
- register for Corporation Tax
- register for PAYE, to tell HMRC you’re employing staff (including yourself if you’re the only director)
- continue an application if you’ve already started registering
Register by post
You can register by post using form IN01.
Postal applications take 8 to 10 days and cost £40 (paid by cheque made out to ‘Companies House’).
You can be registered on the same day if you:
- get your application to Companies House by 3pm
- pay £100
Your envelope (and any courier’s envelope) must be marked ‘same day service’ in the top left-hand corner.
Send your application to the address on the form.
Other ways to register
You can also register:
After you’ve registered
Once the company is registered you’ll get a ‘certificate of incorporation’. This confirms the company legally exists and shows the company number and date of formation.
You’ll also need to register for Corporation Tax within 3 months of starting to do business.