Apply for this licence

Start now on the PRS for Music website


You’ll probably need licences from PRS for Music and Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) or Video Performance Limited (VPL) to use copyright music in television programmes.

PRS for Music administers the rights of composers, lyricists and music publishers in relation to songs, instrumentals, etc.

PPL and VPL administer the rights of record companies and performers in relation to sound recordings (eg CDs) and music videos respectively.

The type of licence you need depends on your operation, eg broadcasting programmes or producing television programmes for broadcasters.

Licence fees are payable, but these vary depending on the type of licence applied for and from whom.

Licence names are not necessarily the same on the PRS for Music and the PPL websites. For example, if you run an independent television production company that wants to use copyright music in a television programme, you may need an IPC licence from PRS for Music and a television secondary sales licence from PPL.

How to apply

You can find more information about the type of licence you need, as well as application forms, on both the PRS for Music and the PPL websites.

You can also contact:

PRS for Music’s TV licensing team

PPL’s TV broadcast licensing team
Telephone: 020 7534 1003

Find out about call charges

Fines and penalties

You may be infringing copyright and could be sued for damages if you broadcast recorded music or music videos in a television programme without a licence.